Research themes include:
- foundations of educational research
- nonparametric item response theory
- interrater reliability
- computer adaptive testing
- measurement invariance
- longitudinal data analysis
- (non-standard) structural equations modelling
- social networks, and
- learning analytics
As of November 2020, the methods and statistics research group have two VENI laureates, and one Open-Competition laureate.
As methodological and statistical experts, the researchers of the methods and statistics group also support and participate in the research of the other research groups in child development and education.